Pages


Friday, March 19, 2010

Laxative Effects of Okra!


Okay so I love all vegetables right. And since exploring a raw food diet I have been trying certain vegetables that I wouldn't normally consider raw. Being a Southern Girl at my roots I was curious what Okra would taste like raw. Well I must tell you it taste better raw than it did when I used to eat it cooked. But one thing I did not expect when eating it was that within 30 minutes or so I would feel a rush of pressure to go eliminate. LOL! I know TMI but this is about transparency. It took me a minute to figure out why I felt the way I did. I mean its not like I had some Senna Leaf Tea or Smooth Move. But I remember a while back I was reading on of Queen Afua's books and she mentioned that Okra can be taken as a natural laxative. I didn't believe it at first but now I know it to be true. The best part about it is that its not some strong herb. Its just a plain raw vegetable. Nature has a way of getting things done doesn't it.

Since I am a nursing mother I am always cautious not to take in things that would cause a quick cleanse. That is why I don't take any herbal laxatives or go on any extended fast. With the Okra I didn't notice any changes in my babies bowel movement schedule at all. So it was very safe. But do remember like with anything it affects every body differently.

I prepared it by just chopping off the ends like a carrot and slicing into circles. Then I sprinkled some kelp on and a splash of low sodium Tamari sauce and it was good to go. Plain taste fine also.

2 comments:

Shamiparyah said...

Wonderful! So I'd figure that you can make this a regular part of your diet then? Like once or twice a week? I'm definitely going to try this...

Thanks for sharing...

Ethnic Green Living said...

I plan to try this!